24 March 2014

An Old Moon encounters Venus

Old Moon and Venus
The Moon travels its 29.5 day path around the Earth each month, presenting us with its changing phases and sweeping around the sky encountering planets and stars as it moves on its steady eastward course. With the onset of daylight savings time, mornings are again dark and I can see much in the morning sky before I get in my car to drive to the office. Today I spied the waning Moon at last quarter phase, and I look forward to the graceful encounter with Venus later this week. The image shows where to find the Moon and Venus, but a chart is hardly necessary this week since the southeastern sky is so overwhelmed by the beaming bright Venus. If your southeastern skies are clear this week, check out the beauty of the old Moon and the brilliant planet in its midst.

No comments: